Monday, February 14, 2011

Blog 5

Eagle Nest Radio & Class Blog

Listening the to 3rd grades talk about Rome was very interesting and very informative. The music in the background really set the mood for the podcast. The third graders were very throughly with the subjects from Rome to Caesar and Cleopatra. You can tell they practiced before they started recording and only stumbled a few times.

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom

Podcasting in the Classroom is very smart and convenient for students for example like in the video with the student who missed class she could go online and listen to the podcast and still be prepared when she returns back to school. If they use podcasting in the classroom then students don't have the excuse of not having the information. I think it is a really good idea to have podcast available to the students. Also if a student is doing homework and gets stuck they can listen to the podcast from class that day and may be able to better understand something they missed.

100 Ways to Use your Ipod to Learn and Study Better

I think using the Ipod for learning is great and then I think it isn't so great. I have an iTouch and I am one of those people who just use it for music because mine does not have an external speaker and I really don't want to use it for school. I know itunes has a lot of cool features that you can use for school items but I would rather use my computer. The only convenience of the ipod for school is if you are going on a trip you would have all your information on this and you can use it in a car by listening to whatever podcast you needed. I am a fan of technology but using a machine that small to see to read or look at would cause your eyesight to weaken in my opinion.

4 comments:

  1. "...using a machine that small to see to read or look at would cause your eyesight to weaken in my opinion." Hmmm. I find it easy to read on my iPhone. I have no idea how my eyes are taking it. Maybe it is good for them to practice with small, highly legible, text!

    So you are saving your iPod Touch for music. You are missing a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie,
    I really enjoyed your post and your timeline was really fun to look at as well!
    "Also if a student is doing homework and gets stuck they can listen to the podcast from class that day and may be able to better understand something they missed."
    I didn't think of this aspect of the podcast. Students can re-listen to a lecture and then come back the next day with more questions after they have had a chance to consider the information.

    "I am a fan of technology but using a machine that small to see to read or look at would cause your eyesight to weaken."
    I had the same thought. I do love my podcasts and I don't mind reading tweets or e-mails on my phone but I think I would struggle reading lengthy passages on a screen that small. Maybe it just takes practice though. I used to have a strong aversion to reading on a computer but now I don't mind it at all.
    Great post! Your blog is so bright and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the 3rd grades and they were great. Students teaching others make them see a different view of learning. The podcast is very helpful for anyone especially students who are sick. I like the idea of the IPOD but I do not want to pay for it. I like that all things I could need would be on the IPOD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think that the Ipod in the classroom is essential to learning and I love the idea of student teaching each other. So many times kids miss class and they could watch the podcast and feel like they didn't miss. I would love to teach the third grade so I loved them...

    ReplyDelete