Friday, February 25, 2011

Blog 6

The Networked Student

While watching the video I realized this is what the classroom is going to be like. Students are going to rely more on the web and internet then what they learn in a textbook or in a classroom. Because they can get so much more information through the internet than in a textbook. Being able to communicate with people halfway around the world on a subject they know about is probably better than any boring textbook in a classroom. Also being able to bookmark a website and sharing it with others helps you and gets your more resources through other people. Using networks will help students broaden their outlook on different subjects and may possible connect with people and create friendships and connections for other topics later on.

A 7th Grade Personal Learning Environment or PLN

As future teachers we need to be educated on how classroom and learning is changing because eventually the school systems will probably get rid of textbook all together and the only way to teach student is through the internet, podcast, and social bookmarking. Textbooks these days are so outdated and new information is being discovered everyday that textbook writers cannot keep up, so the solution to get rid of them and starting using the internet and all the wonderful tools is what is going to happen.

Smart Boards

I found another blog that points out the negative of Smart boards.
I don't really know how I feel about Smart Boards. Yes, they are neat and very technology savy but I went all through grade school and community college without really knowing what a Smart board was or how it worked. When I was in grade school the new fascinating items were the dry erase boards they replaced chalkboards. In school we used the overhead and other media tools that the Smart board was able to integrate into one piece of machinery. Last semester was the first time I had every had an encounter with the smart board. I have not yet worked on one so I can't really tell my personal opinion on them just yet.


http://davecormier.com/edblog/2010/05/15/smartboards-its-about-the-technology-and-it-isnt/

2 comments:

  1. Hey Leslie, I really enjoyed reading your opinions of Blog Assignment 6. I can definitely agree with you on the "Networked Student" blog. I also believe that these are what the classrooms are going to look like. I think this is a very exciting time in education and I can't wait to get out there and start making a difference. Seeing the students being able to learn on there own, with only guidance from the teacher, is really great for building brighter futures.

    While I have not had a lot of experience with Smartboards, I am really excited about their use in the classroom. Yes, we may have gone through school without them, but if this is something that can truly help students learn more efficiently then I am all for it! There are a bunch of negatives out there about Smartboards, but there are also a bunch of positives. Good luck in EDM310!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie,

    You say, "As future teachers, we need to be educated on how classroom and learning is changing. Eventually the school systems will probably get rid of textbook all together, and the only way to teach student is through the internet, podcast, and social bookmarking."

    You're so very right in this! I'm glad to know that you're keeping an open mind and realizing that it's obsolete of us to teach like we're in "Little House on the Prairie" days!

    Keep up the good work!

    - Allie

    ReplyDelete